Re: linux cash register software, i.e, a simple point of sale?

Nick Lidakis wrote:
I'd like to transition our medium sized coffee/shop bakery to some kind of
open Linux cash register. I say register because I don't need the advanced
features of a POS, i.e., inventory control, invoices, etc. I'd like to
replicate what we have now which is this:
http://www.cashregisterstore.com/xcart/product.php?productid=77&cat=23&page=1

Flat PLU buttons for drinks and pastries, electronic reporting, VAT tax,
i.e., our prices include sales tax and are rounded off to the quarter. We
program a flat key for $2.25 and the Casio takes care of adding the tax to
the total price, reporting the taxes at the end of the day on the Z
report and breaking it down on a customer's receipt.

With a ton of professional IBM POS terminals (all x86 based, infrared touch
screens) available on eBay, I thought I could recycle some old hardware and
run a Linux ncurses based simple cash register. Something configured with a
text file. But I can't find anything in the Debian repos or via Google.
The closest was Kvark but it's written in Russian and seems abandoned:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kvark/

The Casio has no network capabilities; is very difficult to program; writes
the Z reports to a compact flash which must be physically pulled from the
machine at the end of the night or get a paper Z report; has cryptic error
codes when one of the baristas does something it doesn't like; is very
closed hardware and software wise.

I'd like to stay away from proprietary systems if I can. iPad POS systems
(Shopkeep; Square register) are all the rage these days amongst espresso
shops like ours but I don't do Apple and the hardware is not up to snuff
(consumer grade; wireless only; delicate ports) behind a bar with hot
liquids and food, in my opinion.

Any simple Linux cash registers out there?

You might ask on debian-embedded@lists.debian.org ?