Re: Tools in Debian to create whole disk image (multiple partitions)?

On Du, 22 iul 12, 17:38:58, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good time of the day, Andrei.
>
> You worte:
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Why don't You copy Your installation w/ "cp -a" and reconfiguring then
> grub for the copy - to another disk (USB one?). OR I'm missing
> something?

The Raspberry Pi can only boot from an SD card and the partition layout
matters (e.g. /boot needs to be primary, FAT32, bootable and probably
the first partition -- there is no bootloader like grub AFAICT).

# parted -l
Model: SD SD08G (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 7948MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system     Flags
 1      1049kB  79,7MB  78,6MB  primary  fat32           boot
 2      79,7MB  336MB   256MB   primary  linux-swap(v1)
 3      336MB   7947MB  7612MB  primary  ext4

The ext4 partition only holds about 630 MiB of data (Debian base install
+ SSH server). I want to create an image that I can:

 * reuse myself later (just dd to some SD card)
 * distribute to possibly not very knowledgeable people

Actually, I already have the image (with GNU ddrescue --sparse), but
it's about 5 times bigger than expected, which makes it difficult to
store and/or distribute :(

Hope this explains,
Andrei