Re: is it rational to close the 139 port

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 16:44:13 +0800
lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:

> Checked, now only 22 80 open with 443 closed.
> another thing is that the nmap can scan my MAC address correctly.
> is it bad? (I guess I will feel comfortable if the MAC address is
> hidden)

All network communication is actually based on MAC addresses, if it
can't be seen, you can't talk.

Try arp -a as root to see what other computers yours has recently
talked to. A cache is kept to speed things up, but only for a few
minutes, otherwise your computer has to broadcast to look up a link
between IP address and MAC.

If you have a rainy afternoon to while away, install Wireshark and have
a play with it. Try various network connections while a capture is
running, and play with the filtering. One day you will need to use it
in anger.

Here is a fragment of a capture showing my workstation trying to find
the server using the ARP protocol. It hasn't connected for a time, so
the server isn't in its cache:

No.  Time  Source  Destination Protocol Length Info

5 5.007111000    Giga-Byt_xx:xx:xx Hewlett-_xx:xx:xx ARP 42
Who has 192.168.99.3?  Tell 192.168.99.101

6 5.007315000    Hewlett-_xx:xx:xx Giga-Byt_xx:xx:xx ARP 60
192.168.99.3 is at xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Sorry about the wrap, but email isn't designed for this sort of thing.
Note that the first half of the MAC is a vendor ID, and Wireshark
decodes it.

--
Joe