Re: HOW do i RESTORE the default permissions of a DIRECTORY

On 21/07/12 11:06, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 21/07/12 01:47 AM, vykuntam srinivas wrote:
>> hi all,i have set  some permissions to  directory as :
>>
>> *#chown -R user:www-data /var/www/ipplan
>> #chmod -R 750 /var/www/ipplan
>>
>> i want  to undo  the above operation or restore back the default
>> permissions for /var/www/ipplan.  Do i have any way to do this?
>> *
>
> No.
>
> You can restore a backup of the directory or you can figure out what the
> permissions used to be and set them back to it, but there is no "undo"
> operation for any command line program that I can think of.

Like Mr. Gary Dale said above, there is no undo for this. If you have a
backup, you can check the permissions in the backup and reapply them to
the directory.

Another way, you could try to reinstall the package ipplan (I see that's
included in Debian unstable). Or install that package on another machine
and see what permissions it sets, then reapply them; provided you
installed the debian package and didn't do any important modifications
to it in the meantime.

Also, you could check the logs of the application and see what are its
complaints about permissions and fix those.

HTH,
--
Adrian Fita