Re: Dynamic DNS updater recomendation?

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:00:28 -0500
"John W. Foster" <jfoster81747@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 14:07 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:24:20 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> >
> > > I need to be able to have afraid.org; a free dns server system, checked
> > > and updated with the IP address from my DHCP leased router provided by
> > > Verizon Fios. I have looked at several of these & have installed a
> > > couple. ddclient works flawlessly with DynDns.com but not with
> > > afraid.org 'out of the box. It seems very easy to setup for dyn.com,
> > > however I can not locate any info on adapting it to afraid.org.
> >
> > It seems that support for ddclient starts since version >3.8.0.
> >
> > > I'm trying to stay with Debian stable as this is for running a server
> > > connected to afraid.org. Any tips for a workable solution is

? Stable has 3.8.0

> > > appreciated, even how to configure one of the auto updaters in Debian.

> yes, in fact I've actually tried several of them with very mixed
> results. This is most likely to my lack of training/experience in the
> management & installation of this type of application. I have NO
> experience in codeing except a bit of php and I'm not at all proficient
> in it. Just a few hacks of Mediawiki stuff. Several are written in perl
> and offer no clear installation or modification instructions. The best
> seem to be geared toward Dyndns.com or other dns services. I
> particularly want to support afraid.org, & there in lies the need. Even
> the one that I have working, ddclient, is only able to work with Dyn.com
> as far as I can tell.
> I am seeking assistance from someone who has a bit of actual experience
> in this arena. Any volunteers??

I've used several of the clients. I recommend ddclient - I believe it's
one of the most robust, widely used and best supported ones. You don't
need any coding skills - just go through the config file, and edit /
activate the section for the 'freedns' protocol, as per here:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Dynamic_DNS#freedns.afraid.org

--
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com>