Re: multiple ftp servers

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Anan Zaaa <ananzaaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have proftp installed and want to install pureftp on a different port for
> custom usage.
> But apt-get removes proftp before installing pureftp. Any idea how can i
> overcome this?

You need remove conflct from pure-ftp package, but this is a problem
when you want to upgrade the package, you will have to hold that
package and upgrade yourself, modifying the package every new release.

Technically:
1. Install pureftp dependencies (aptitude install openbsd-inetd
pure-ftpd-common)
2. Modify the pureftp package:
   2.1 aptitude download pure-ftpd ; mkdir tmp; cd tmp
   2.2 Decompress (ar x ../pure*deb)
   2.3 Modify control.tar.gz, so its control file has not conflicts
and not provides ftp virtual package (you can do it with vim if
confortable or untaring / taring control.tar.gz file)
   2.4 Compress (ar rc pure-ftpd_1.0.36-1_amd64.deb debian-bynary
control.tar.gz data.tar.gz)
3. Install forcing it (because there are a conffile which conflicts
too with the other ftp) (dpkg -i --force-all pure*deb)
4. Hold the package aptitude hold pure-ftpd

I hope this help, but really it is not a good example of use of apt
system :-). If you have your own repository you can build appropiate
package there !

Regards,
PD: Does somebody know an easier method to overwrite this kind of conflicts ?