Re: Debian on a 32G USB flashdrive

Thanks so much for your answer!

On 07/14/2012 08:00 PM, Brian wrote:
Use extlinux/syslinux by all means if you wish, but being able boot a
USB stick on any computer is certainly possible.
Great! I tried again! This time I specified /dev/sdb1/ to set grub, and now I can boot from the USB flashdrive.

  I've done it at least
half a dozen times today.
So now I have my flashdrive set up, I'll be able to use it at work and do my development work on it rather than a virtualbox in windows! :-D

One question though: I have 8G of RAM at work so I don't think not having a swap an issue. Nevertheless, it seems like things freeze a little bit when there's a lot of read/write on the flashdrive. So I thought maybe you'd have some advice on how to optimize the actual use of the OS on the flashdrive. I should have access to the Windows partition of the harddrive there, so maybe it would be wise to move some files there? I wonder if the use of the /tmp directory in the flashdrive slows down the UI when using certain programs. Maybe I could move it and some other key directories to the windows harddrive?

Anything you'd like to recommend? :-) If you know of good documentation or resource on this, it would be great as well! Thanks!

Loic