Re: CD image doesn't exist for download?

Doug wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
> >Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >>I guess we should wait for a reply from the OP. I still don't understand
> >>why the OP tries to use http://atterer.org/jigdo/ .

Agreed.

> >To quote the OP, "I navigated to http://atterer.org/jigdo/ from
> >debian.org, ..."
> >
> >I'll lay odds he had gone to either:
> >   http://www.debian.org/CD/
> >or
> >   http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/
> >
> >The both promote it as *THE _PREFERRED_ METHOD* for obtaining
> >Debian online.

While it is true that jigdo is listed above bittorrent and http/ftp it
is simply one of the options in the list.  It is hard to have a list
and display it without bias.  Something will be earlier and something
will be later in the list.

I would say from looking at http://www.debian.org/CD/ that the
preferred method is to use the "Network install media" option.  It is
highlighted to draw attention to it.  And it is also one of the
options in the list.  For most people I think the netinst image is the
best one for them to use.  And the web page says as much.

> A few years ago i was investigating various Linux distros.  I ran up
> against "jigdo" and I never saw anything more confusing in my life!
> If that's the only way to install Debian today, then it's no wonder
> the op can't do it!  Other distros just let you boot the install
> disk and follow very simple instructions.  Since I'm not using Deb
> anymore, I don't know what the current process is, but there has to
> be an easier way!

I can't say that jigdo is simple or trivial.  I tend to use bittorrent
for my needs and that is listed last in the list.  But jigdo is simply
one of the several options that are available for use.  It is up to
the user to choose.

Bob