Re: Debian stable chromium does not open Facebook

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:05 PM, John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Stephen Allen writes:
>> That was what I thought the purpose of volatile was.
>
> It isn't.  See <http://www.debian.org/volatile/> .  You want backports:
> <http://backports-master.debian.org/>

No, while that meets the need, I don't think that's what they want.
The posters agreeing with each other (and I agree with them) are
looking for something "official."

For example, RHEL, while being even "more" stable than Debian (they
support it for a decade instead of 2.5 years), keeps the important
*desktop* applications (Firefox, OpenOffice) reasonably up to date and
working (e.g.; Pidgin) when they break due to circumstances outside of
their control (in the case of Pidgin, Yahoo! changed their chat
protocol.  Debian left it broken in Etch -- RHEL fixed it).

I do agree with the others that this policy of never updating *for any
reason, even reasonable reasons* is quite a millstone around Debian's
neck.  It's ironic that out of all the major Linux distributions, only
RHEL takes (IMO) a sensible middle ground, a balance between stability
and unusability.

--
Chris