Netbook acer ao-722 bz-893

Dear Linuxers,

(about debian on Netbook Acer AO-722, BZ-893)

Some days ago I've got an Asus Eee-PC 1215B and I had a lot of trouble
to make wireless and cable to work. To the point I got near a deadline
of 7 days before returning it to the store, and I decided to return
it.

I changed to an Acer Aspire One 722 BZ893, hoping it would work out of
the box. I even got a live debian distro in a pendrive to boot there
in the store, to be sure it would work.

Well, it worked with wrong resolution, but ok. The internet (cable)
was fine for a while. Then I brought it home.

For some unknow reason, I discovered that the internet only work for a
few moments, then it stops. That is eth0.
For wlan0 never appear.

In this rare moments of useful internet using my KDE live distro, now
installed, I was able to install synaptic, update the apt-get, install
wireless-tools, google-chrome, and some other basic stuff.

Now I can't get any internet time anymore. I don't know why...

eth0 simple doesn't get an IP address, and ifconfig doesn't show wlan0.

I'm in kind of a deadline because I need to decide if I'll keep it and
keep trying, or return it for good. I feel very frustrated and
although you doesn't need to know, I could barely sleep this night
because of this problem that is ruining my vacations and finances.

Please, if someone would be kind to guide my step-by-step and make it
work, or if someone knows for sure I better return and buy something
else more "compatible", I'm all ears.

Finished the history, now some tech info:

lspci -nn gives (among other things):

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device [1022:1510]
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Device
[1002:9807]
00:01.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Device [1002:1314]
00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Axalia (Intel
HDA) [1002:4383] (rev 42)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications AR8152 v2.0
Fast Ethernet [1969:2062] (rev c1)
07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. Device
[168c:0032] (rev 01)

Audio is working ok. Just VGA, eth0 and wlan0 needs my attention. I
even don't really care about HDMI or other things I can live without.

A friend of mine gave me an old usb wireless adapter to help me out.
It is a Netgear WPN111. But that doesn't work either.

lsusb gives:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1385:5f01 Netgear, Inc WPN111 (no firmware)

lsmod gives:

Module                  Size  Used by
powernow_k8            10978  0
cpufreq_powersave        902  0
parport_pc             18855  0
cpufreq_conservative     5162  0
ppdev                   5030  0
cpufreq_stats           2740  0
lp                      7462  0
cpufreq_userspace       1992  0
parport                27954  3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp
sco                     7225  2
bridge                 39646  0
stp                     1440  1 bridge
bnep                    9427  2
rfcomm                 29629  0
l2cap                  24752  6 bnep,rfcomm
crc16                   1319  1 l2cap
bluetooth              41827  6 sco,bnep,rfcomm,l2cap
vboxnetadp              4193  0
vboxnetflt             12525  0
vboxdrv              1723671  2 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt
uinput                  6376  1
fuse                   50924  1
joydev                  8459  0
loop                   11799  0
snd_hda_codec_atihdmi     2251  1
snd_hda_intel          20035  3
snd_hda_codec          54292  2 snd_hda_codec_atihdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               5380  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                60487  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_seq                42881  0
snd_timer              15598  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          4493  1 snd_seq
uvcvideo               52127  0
videodev               30089  1 uvcvideo
psmouse                49985  0
i2c_piix4               8328  0
snd                    46526  13
snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
rfkill                 13044  2 bluetooth
v4l1_compat            11442  2 uvcvideo,videodev
v4l2_compat_ioctl32     8474  1 videodev
led_class               2433  0
soundcore               4598  1 snd
video                  17445  0
pcspkr                  1699  0
serio_raw               3752  0
output                  1692  1 video
i2c_core               15819  2 videodev,i2c_piix4
evdev                   7352  24
snd_page_alloc          6249  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
wmi                     4323  0
battery                 4998  0
processor              29935  3 powernow_k8
fglrx                2610490  0
ac                      2192  0
button                  4650  1 fglrx
ext3                  106710  2
jbd                    37317  1 ext3
mbcache                 5050  1 ext3
usb_storage            40217  0
sd_mod                 29937  4
crc_t10dif              1276  1 sd_mod
ahci                   32870  3
thermal                11674  0
ohci_hcd               19343  0
ehci_hcd               32097  0
libata                133776  1 ahci
atl1c                  27315  0
scsi_mod              126725  3 usb_storage,sd_mod,libata
thermal_sys            11942  3 video,processor,thermal
usbcore               123122  5 uvcvideo,usb_storage,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd
nls_base                6377  1 usbcore

I tried to install with modprobe some other modules, but nothing happened:

ath                     8006  1 ath9k
ath9k                 249976  0
button                  4650  0
cfg80211              101496  3 ath9k,mac80211,ath
hid                    63257  1 usbhid
led_class               2433  1 ath9k
rfkill                 13044  3 cfg80211,bluetooth
usbcore               123122  6 uvcvideo,usb_storage,usbhid,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd
usbhid                 33292  0

If I give ifconfig, I get:

eth0 and lo

My /etc/network/interfaces is:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

I tried to write eth0 here, but maybe I'm confused with interfaces,
wicd and network-manager, how to chose one, and how to manage it.
Too much options, none make sense to me. Maybe if someone could help
with one alone...

iwconfig gives:

lo no wireless extensions.
eth0  no wireless extensions.
vboxnet0 no wireless extensions.
pan0 no wireless extensions.

route -n gives an empty  table.

ping 192.168.0.1 gives:
connect: Network is unreachable

The computer is an LED LCD 1366x768, multi-gesture touchpad
CPU AMD Dual-Core Processor C-50 (1.0GHZ)
4GB RAM, 500GB HD, 3 cell battery.

>From a site with the same model I gathered (not confirmed, though):

• Vision AMD - C-Series processor C-50 (Dual Core, 1 MB L2 cache, 1
GHz, DDR3 1066 MHz, 9 W)
• Windows® 7 Starter Edition
• 11.6" HD Resol. 1366 x 768, high-brightness Hardware
• Video ATI Radeon™ HD 6250 Graphics, 256 MB
• AMD A50M Fusion™ Controller Hub 3-cell Li-ion Battery (2200 mAh)
• 2 GB DDR3 (mine is 4 GB)
• 500GB SATA 2.5
• 5 in 1-Build in
• 3rd Wi-Fi 1x1 BGN Wireless Setup Card
• Webcam Acer Crystal Eye 0.3M
• 2 Stereos
• High-Definition Audio Support & MS-Sound
• Multi-gesture Touchpad
• 3 USB 2.0

------

Also, I've tried to install AMD catalyst 12.6 driver, but the monitor
is still in the wrong resolution.

fglrxinfo gives:
X Error of failed request: Badrequest (invalid request code or no such
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request: 135 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
  Serial number of failed request: 12

I'm not sure what else can I inform to help. Please, if someone has
the patience and time, I'll try this for the next days and I'll reply
as soon as I test the suggestions. Every help is welcome.

My best,
Beco

--
Dr. Beco
A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher