Re: Why compiling.

Am Mittwoch, 11. Juli 2012 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 09:04 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> > The reason machine A is not bootable is because a minor hardware
> > change  is capable of doing that with a custom kernel.
>
> +1
>
> I almost exclusively use self-build kernels only, because I need them,
> but I don't drop too much hardware support, usually I try to use as
> much of the config of a distro's default kernel as possible. As
> somebody already mentioned, even on machines where RAM is an issue,
> there's no need to load all modules. Since compiling a kernel does
> take a long time, I would like to get rid of stuff I never ever will
> need, but to get rid of it IMO is too time consuming itself.
>
> My way is to copy a distro's kernel config, to patch my kernel, choose
> my settings (add what is needed and what must be removed) and to run
> make oldconfig.
>
> On disk the needed space can become an issue, when collecting many,
> many, many kernels, but one or a few kernels shouldn't be an issue.

That can be a good idea if the machine doesn´t boot a distro kernel and
has no space constraints.

If the machine can boot a distro kernel I´d just install one alongside
your self-compiled kernel.

If the machine has space constraints I´d have to pick options anyway.

I usually also use the distro config, then strip out options for not needed
fixed compoments. I know the SATA controller of this ThinkPad T520 and I
now that the eSATA PCI express card uses a Silicon Image one. But for most
plugable stuff I just build modules. Like in the official Debian kernel.
Cause what I do I know do I want to plug in to one of the USB slots
tomorrow?

Granted the kernel is a one size fits all game for the majority of users,
but not for everyone. And thats fine. The users who compile their own stuff
do usually not affect the users who only use packages in any negative way,
so there is no need to fight some kind of religious war about that.

I didn´t think of you Ralf specifically here, you just describe your way.
Thats fine with me.

But it seems from what I read in this thread so far that this might be
considered some kind of religious choice.

Its not in my oppinion.

My way, your way, their way can co-exist.

Easily.

Thats what the whole free software stuff is about.

Thats the whole point of it.