Re: Why compiling.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 23:22:46 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 10 iul 12, 15:08:52, Celejar wrote:
> >
> > And why do I care whether the kernel I compile locally for a
> > specific machine is portable?
>
> Imagine a situation where due to whatever reason the kernel image of
> your router machine gets corrupted, then you can just copy the file from
> another machine ;)

Not quite sure I get you - if my hypothetical router (running x86 HW,
not like my actual routers that run OpenWRT on arm, and that don't
have lots of extra MB to spare) needs a new kernel, I can just send over
a distro stock one; why should my work machine kernel need to be
appropriate for my router?

Celejar