Re: Why compiling.

2012/7/10 Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com>
This is a very basic question but confusing me for very long. so i
need your help.

why people do compiling. i have heard many time that people are
compiling kernel on debian.
what is the reason for this? i am using debian for almost 1.5 year and
have been using it on different platform in CLI mode. but no need of
compiling in this time window.

Sometimes compiling kernel is needed because you want to add features not enabled in the stock kernel, some other because you want to remove features.

eg. I am used to compile a vanilla kernel in order to obtain a RT one (vanilla sources + realtime patch http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/) doing this the debian-way.

secondly i have read  that people are compiling Squid SAMBA and all
the other packages but why. i am using KVM, squid samba etc  for
almost more then 1 year and all the servers are providing me what ever
i asled all the services are very comprehensive and could be fit in
any environment then why compiling?

again, adding/removing features could be of some interest, don't know about samba but eg. when php was not shipped with gd support compiling was needed.
just think about deb packages which do not include features not compliant with debian free software guidelines, so again you need to compile. eg. mapserver not shipped with ecw support because libecw is proprietary soft (now I believe is completely dead), so you should compile ecw and then gdal libs with ecw support enabled...

Thanks

regards
-r

--
L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti, alla protesta violenta e viscerale. (V. Evangelisti)