Re: Why compiling.

On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 19:15 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:
> On 10/07/12 08:03 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>> This is a very basic question but confusing me for very long. so i
>> need your help.
>>
>> why people do compiling. i have heard many time that people are
>> compiling kernel on debian.
>> what is the reason for this? i am using debian for almost 1.5 year and
>> have been using it on different platform in CLI mode. but no need of
>> compiling in this time window.
>>
>> secondly i have read  that people are compiling Squid SAMBA and all
>> the other packages but why. i am using KVM, squid samba etc  for
>> almost more then 1 year and all the servers are providing me what ever
>> i asled all the services are very comprehensive and could be fit in
>> any environment then why compiling?
>>

>> Thanks,
>
> There is little need to compile code. In fact, doing so will probably have a
> negative impact on your system's stability, especially if you use other than
> the official sources.
>
> People who prepare the individual packages or distributions are usually the
> only ones who need to compile code. However, some brave/foolhardy souls must
> have the latest code from the developer's source and compile their own. This
> is invariably a bad idea.
>
> When you leave the safety of your distribution's code repositories, you
> become responsible for managing the various inter-dependencies between
> programs and libraries. This is not a trivial task.
>
> If you need later code than is available from the official repositories,
> look for backports or, in the case of Debian, move to testing. In the
> testing repositories you get up to date code that is somewhat stable for
> non-critical work.
>
> Compiling from the official sources is a slightly different issue. For
> example, some people will compile a custom kernel from the official sources
> to do one of several things:
> - create a kernel that doesn't need an initramfs - everything is built in
> - create a smaller kernel that contains only the options they need -
> rendering it non-portable
> - creating a kernel with non-standard options for a particular situation.
>
> Other code may need similar tweaking. I once compiled a CUPS driver for a
> printer to include a bug fix I needed that hadn't made it into SID yet.
>
> However, these situations are rare. For the vast majority of people,
> compiling is something you shouldn't worry about. The package maintainers do
> a great job of getting everything to work together properly. Don't undermine
> their work.

noway i am undermining their work but i have heard that people do
compile kernels  and some time hardware vendors suggest users to
compile their drivers from source though i couldn't get the idea of
what they are discussing.

so after reading your detailed answer things are crystal clear. i
applicate the effort and i thank you for help.