Re: Why compiling.

On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 23:28 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 10 iul 12, 21:33:51, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > I compile software myself for at least three reasons.
> > 1. In the past I often was a tester for e.g. Qtractor and I plan to do
> > it in the future again. It also is needed, if you wish to do
> > translations. Until now I never finished a translation.
>
> Do you mean for Qtractor or in general? As far as I know you don't need
> to compile the software if it uses gettext, you just copy the .mo files
> where needed.

Qt Linguist can't show text for code that isn't already programmed. So
when doing a translation you need to compile, each time new text was
added by the coder. IIRC for Qt Linguist we need to generate some
file(s) during compiling, I guess it's not possible to get the file(s)
without compiling.
I suspect compiling is needed for Qt based software.

- Ralf