Re: Why compiling.

On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 17:03 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> [snip] i have heard many time that people are compiling kernel on debian.

Some kernels with special patches are not always available for Debian.
Sometimes e.g. a kernel-rt is available, but sometimes it isn't. If e.g.
a kernel-rt should be available by a repository, I still might optimize
to e.g. the CPU I'm using.

> [snip]
> secondly i have read  that people are compiling Squid SAMBA and all
> the other packages but why. i am using KVM, squid samba etc  for
> almost more then 1 year and all the servers are providing me what ever
> i asled all the services are very comprehensive and could be fit in
> any environment then why compiling?

I compile software myself for at least three reasons.
1. In the past I often was a tester for e.g. Qtractor and I plan to do
it in the future again. It also is needed, if you wish to do
translations. Until now I never finished a translation.
2. Some software is missing functionality that works good enough for my
needs and sometimes software from git does provide the quality I need.
3. No distro can fit to everybody needs, you might need to get rid of
dependencies that make Linux unable to be used with e.g. professional
audio software.

Some people perhaps wish to learn/play. Since self-responsibility is
wanted, this could be a good way to learn more about Linux, it also
could break an install, but even this could help to learn more about
Linux.
Others maybe are hunting for latest versions only, this IMO is idiotic.
Sometimes I would be able to compile very old versions, because I prefer
those versions, this unfortunately isn't that easy to do.
I'm not programming for Linux. I did program older computers, however,
many people help programming, other people take care that FLOSS isn't
malicious, they might need to compile with special flags set, dunno, but
there are tons of reasons to compile FLOSS software ourself.

- Ralf