Re: VNC not connecting over SSH tunnel

On 09/07/12 08:21 AM, Chris Davies wrote:
Gary Dale<garydale@rogers.com>  wrote:
I can connect to every workstation in a remote office using:
ssh -L 5902:<remote workstation's local IP>:5900<remote router's
public IP>
xtightvncviewer -encodings "tight" localhost:5902
However, there is one workstation [...]
The ssh session also shows this message:
    channel 3: open failed: connect failed: No route to host
Indeed, I can't even ping it from the remote ssh server.
There's your answer in the ssh channel message: there is no route to
there from here.

However, when I went to the office and tried to connect using my laptop,
connected into the local network, I was able to connect normally.
The routing for the target workstation is different between the two
systems (router and laptop). The fault - if that's what it is - will be
either on the router or on the workstation, and it will either be a fault
of omission (you've lost a route in your routing table) or superimposition
(you've added an incorrect route to the routing table).

Chris
Thanks Chris, but I don't quite follow your direction. The ssh server is on the local subnet (a 192.168.x.x non-routable network) as are the workstation I'm trying to connect to and the laptop (when I plugged it into their network). The local forwarding would be handled on the subnet so that if it worked for one station, shouldn't it work for all?

I don't see how the router would enter into it. It just passes the ssh tunnel to the ssh server, although it does also hand out the dhcp addresses for the local network. There are no rules on the router regarding the one workstation.

The other piece of network gear is a 16-port D-Link switch which I haven't done anything to. I just plugged it in.

So I'm back where I started - why isn't the ssh server seeing the one particular workstation?