Re: Google Chrome is installed but won't run

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 11:46:08 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 07 July 2012 08:19:28 Richard Hector wrote:
> > On 07/07/12 18:21, Lisi wrote:
> > > I have just installed Google Chrome on a vanilla almost default
> > > Squeeze/LXDE installation.  It is there, but won't run.  I have
> > > tried:
> > >
> > > click on icon in menu - nothing happens
> > >
> > > launch from launcher - command is accepted, but launcher then
> > > hangs
> > >
> > > run from terminal - command is accepted, but terminal then hangs
> > >
> > > run from terminal with complete path (/usr/bin/google-chrome) -
> > > command is accepted, but terminal then hangs
> > >
> > > Run from root terminal - error message comes up:
> > > <quote>
> > > root@Hercules:/home/peter# google-chrome
> > > [2248:2248:412227201:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_gtk.cc(50)]
> > > Startup refusing to run as root.
> > > root@Hercules:/home/peter#
> > > </quote>
> >
> > At least the last one tells you what's wrong :-)
> >
> > I'd try running it with strace, in an effort to see what it's
> > trying and failing to do.
> >
> > $ strace google-chrome
> >
> > You might need to install the strace package first, of course.
>
> I tried this first, and promptly got stuck. :-(  The strace does not
> finish, but hangs there half way through at a figure 7.  I tried
> several times, then left it for two or three hours, redirecting the
> output to a file.  It was still hanging at the same point, but
> unfortunately the redirect had failed. There is no other way of
> actually capturing the output because it is lengthy. So I'll just
> have to try again - when I have cleared the mush in my head
> sufficiently to work out what I did wrong!

This sounds to me like you've found the problem. Strace won't magically
fix your hang, but will simply show you what's happening when the hang
happens. Is it, perhaps hanging on a line like "select (7,"? If so,
then chrome is waiting for filehandle 7 to return some data. You can
read back in the strace output, looking for a line like "open (<some
arguments>) = 7".

Basically, strace has probably given you a lot of good information, you
just need to know how to interpret it (if you want, install
manpages-dev for the documentation on all those system calls).

--
Paul Saunders