Re: Google Chrome is installed but won't run

On Saturday 07 July 2012 08:19:28 Richard Hector wrote:
> On 07/07/12 18:21, Lisi wrote:
> > I have just installed Google Chrome on a vanilla almost default
> > Squeeze/LXDE installation.  It is there, but won't run.  I have tried:
> >
> > click on icon in menu - nothing happens
> >
> > launch from launcher - command is accepted, but launcher then hangs
> >
> > run from terminal - command is accepted, but terminal then hangs
> >
> > run from terminal with complete path (/usr/bin/google-chrome) - command
> > is accepted, but terminal then hangs
> >
> > Run from root terminal - error message comes up:
> > <quote>
> > root@Hercules:/home/peter# google-chrome
> > [2248:2248:412227201:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_gtk.cc(50)]
> > Startup refusing to run as root.
> > root@Hercules:/home/peter#
> > </quote>
>
> At least the last one tells you what's wrong :-)
>
> I'd try running it with strace, in an effort to see what it's trying and
> failing to do.
>
> $ strace google-chrome
>
> You might need to install the strace package first, of course.

I tried this first, and promptly got stuck. :-(  The strace does not finish,
but hangs there half way through at a figure 7.  I tried several times, then
left it for two or three hours, redirecting the output to a file.  It was
still hanging at the same point, but unfortunately the redirect had failed.
There is no other way of actually capturing the output because it is lengthy.
So I'll just have to try again - when I have cleared the mush in my head
sufficiently to work out what I did wrong!

But meanwhile, thanks, all of you, for the help.  Much appreciated.

Lisi