Re: Alternative(s) to VirtualBox

Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> wrote:
> I tried kvm, but virt-manager reports "Unable to connect to libvirt"
> even though libvirtd is running.

Add yourself to the libvirt group.

If you're making a connection from a local virt-manager to a
remote libvirtd you need to do one of three things, as by default libvirtd
allows no remote access:

- enable the "listen" option in /etc/default/libvirt-bin
- relax the permissions in the remote's file /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
- connect to the libvirtd via an ssh tunnel logged in to the remote server

In a previous job I chose to implement the third option (I'd looked
at item 1 but couldn't see how to integrate the embedded SASL based
authentication with the other authentication scheme(s) already present).

> If I start kvm from the command line I get:
> WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /home/carlf/.cache/keyring-7jbXBL/pkcs11: No such file or directory
> error: failed to get domain '/mnt/data/kvm-images/xp2'
> error: An error occurred, but the cause is unknown

How are you starting kvm, and with what options?
Chris