Re: Very slow network with certain APs -- ipv6 problem?

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:09:25 -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You mean you're still using ipv4 with no ipv6 support from the OS at
>> all?
>
> I am using an up-to-date install of Squeeze. There were several network
>
> related updates when IPv6 was supposed to be activated. So I presume
>
> this was an activation for Debian.

The default Debian installation should enable ipv6 but if you manually
turned it off and did an upgrade instead a clean install, this setting
could have been honored so better check if ipv6 is on or off.

> Since then, certain wireless APs have not worked properly.

"Certain"? You mean that for some worked and others not? It can be then a
corner issue with those specific access points :-?

> It claims to connect and get an IP address, but there is almost no
> actual traffic. It can take 5 or 10 minutes to get a simple page with
> mostly text and very few graphics.

You can turn off ipv6 from the browser (eg.g, Icewasel/Firefox) and then
retry to see if you get any difference.

> Yet, these same IPs are as fast as ever when you connect with a Windows
> machine. Which leads me to suspect that Windows automatically detects
> what the AP is using and adjusts, while Linux does not.

I don't have enough information to reach such a conclusion, but this can
be easily tested by disabling ipv6 completely from your linux box and
check for the results.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón