Re: Debian's grub doesn't detect Ubuntu

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Siard <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>> Siard wrote:

>>> First make sure that Ubuntu's /boot/grub/grub.cfg contains a
>>> menuentry for Ubuntu in the section starting with
>>> ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
>>
>> os-prober doesn't need "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" in Ubuntu to exist in
>> order to create an entry in the Debian "/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober"
>> section.
>
> I have Squeeze and Wheezy. I uninstalled Wheezy's grub, but then
> Squeeze's grub did not detect kernel upgrades in Wheezy. After
> reinstalling Wheezy's grub, things worked right again.
> That's why I concluded that Wheezy's /boot/grub/grub.cfg is needed.

This hasn't been my experience with grub2 at all. Just in case, I've
just tested in a VM with two disks one with sid and one with quantal.
sid's grub2 recognized and added quantal when (1) quantal's grub2 was
installed and "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" existed (it used the kernel
options in grub.cfg), (2) quantal's grub2 was installed and quantal's
"/boot/grub/grub.cfg" was deleted, (3) quantal's grub* was
uninstalled, (4) quantal's grub* was uninstalled and the first 446 of
quantal's MBR and quantal's bios_boot partition were blanked out with
dd.