Re: Debian's grub doesn't detect Ubuntu

Tom H wrote:
> Siard wrote:
> > Mika Suomalainen wrote:
> > > It seems that Debian's grub can only detect Debian and Windows 7,
> > > but not Ubuntu.
> >
> > First make sure that Ubuntu's /boot/grub/grub.cfg contains a
> > menuentry for Ubuntu in the section starting with
> > ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
>
> os-prober doesn't need "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" in Ubuntu to exist in
> order to create an entry in the Debian "/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober"
> section.

I have Squeeze and Wheezy.  I uninstalled Wheezy's grub, but then
Squeeze's grub did not detect kernel upgrades in Wheezy.  After
reinstalling Wheezy's grub, things worked right again.
That's why I concluded that Wheezy's /boot/grub/grub.cfg is needed.

> If "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" exists in Ubuntu, os-prober uses its kernel
> options in the Debian "/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober" section.

Yep, I once moved Wheezy to another partition.  Wheezy's grub.cfg still
contained the old partition, and Squeeze's os-prober adopted that.
I had to correct the partition in Wheezy's grub.cfg to get it working
right again.