Re: Current SSD setup recommendations for laptop with Debian

On 7/3/2012 6:49 AM, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> I've decided to replace the failing hard disk on my Debian Thinpad with an
> SSD. As I use the laptop in a harsh mobile environment, I decided to get and
> SSD. This one:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167122
>
> Then, I decided to Google SSD in relation to formatting, partitions and
> Debian/Linux. Seems there's a lot of old information; people saying some
> techniques for SSD setup are plain wrong; arguments about enabling TRIM;
> laptop setup vs SSD and HDD setup; etc., etc.
>
> The Debian SSD wiki (http://wiki.debian.org/SSDoptimization) leaves out
> "An important aspect in optimizing SSD performance is the file system and
> partition layout. Ths wiki page does not cover these issues."
>
> So, it's 2012 and I'm a heavy Firefox user on Thinkpad with 3gigs of RAM.
> I'd like to install via a new install cd. What are the current
> recommendations? Do I have to do an "alignment"? Does the Debian net install
> have the tools necessary to do this or is SSD an option and things happen
> automagically? Which file system is recommended for and SSD in a laptop.
> fstab options? Anything else before I do my install?

There are two kinds of desktop (vs server) users in the world:

1.  Those who actually use their desk/lap/top for productive work
2.  Those who attempt to tweak the machine to theoretical "perfection"

If you fall into camp #1 you'll simply use the SSD as you would any
rotating disk and you'll be happy.  If you fall into camp #2, well,
you'll continue wasting massive amounts of time trying to figure out how
to "perfectly" setup your SSD.

In the end, for your desktop FireFox use case, you'll notice zero
performance or other difference after burning all the time in case #2.

I've been using a low end Corsair 40GB SSD in my XP desktop for about a
year.  XP doesn't support TRIM.  The difference between the SSD and the
previous Seagate 7.2K drive is what you'd expect, about 50 times faster
random access, 3 second vs 12 second boot time, double the streaming
read, and about 20% faster streaming write, apps launch instantly, cache
FF content allows pages to load nearly instantly, etc.

Thus my advice is to simply use it like you would a rotating disk,
format as usual, install as usual, and enjoy the added performance
without all the angst and second guessing yourself as to whether you did
it "perfectly".

--
Stan