Re: Squeeze update hplip

On 07/03/2012 09:38 AM, Mark Panen wrote:
> On 03/07/2012 14:17, Worrier Poet wrote:
>>   use the hp-setup program.
>>
>> It has to be run as root
> I cannot open any GUI packages as root in a terminal, something about X
> forwarding, can you help me please?

It will probably help those of us who are trying to help you if you give
us more information about the system or systems you are working on. We
know you're running Squeeze, and that you are thinking that you may need
a later version of hplip (which I think may not be true because I used
MFPs easily on Squeeze), and want to get a multi-function HP device to work.

I had assumed that your printer was attached directly to the system
you're working from, or perhaps that the printer was directly plugged in
as a client of the network. From what you've said now, it sounds as
though you have the printer attached to a remote Linux system. And that
you're trying to run hp-setup on that remote system. Is that correct?

The more exact information about the printer/scanner and the systems it
needs to serve, the more likely we may be able to help you.

I'm a bit confused about your statement that you can't open any GUI
packages as root in a terminal. If you're trying to run it on a remote
system by way of an SSH connection, then normally it is best to not
allow running GUI packages on the remote system as root. That would be
IMO a proper setup. In the face of a real need to run a GUI app as an
admin on a remote system, I'd probably use gksu (or equivalent) to
launch the GUI app from the standard $ prompt (i.e. not logged on to the
terminal as root).

But all my experience with hp-setup indicates that it works best as an
interactive command line utility. I had forgot that there's some sort of
gtk (or gnome?) thingy that can be used to control it, but I've never
used that after once looking at it and deciding that it wasn't very useful.

An example for getting hp-setup as an interactive command line utility
to install an HP MFP connected directly to a router on my home network
would be

# hp-setup -i xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the MFP. If you don't use the
"-i" option, then hp-setup will assume you want to use the GUI. If you
do use the "-i" option, then I think the remote system should be happy
to let you use the utility.

There are examples in the man page to indicate what you need to do if
the printer is attached by serial / parallel / usb to the remote system.

If I haven't understood your circumstances at all, then you should
probably really spell out what you have, how it is currently configured
(physically as well as software-wise) and just what you want to accomplish.

I hope someone will be able to assist you. I may be tied up for a couple
of days, but will try to get back to the thread as soon as possible.

Good fortune to you!
the worrier