Re: Bridging eth0/br0 & NetworkManager - can they coexist?

Steve Dowe <sd@warpuniversal.co.uk> wrote:
> The issue I'm having, using wheezy, is that if I set up a bridged
> ethernet interface for eth0 (br0), as per instructions on the Debian
> wiki etc, NetworkManager can no longer manage my wired ethernet connection.

You can't do that  :-(

If you need a bridge (like I do), AFAIK the only two solutions are:

- uninstall network manager and return to using /etc/network/interfaces
- add the missing code to network manager

I have tried various ways of "persuading" NM that it wants to control
my bridged interface instead of the physical one, and it really won't
play ball. I had wanted to try and keep NM on my laptop because it does
wireless better than my previous home-grown solutions. But I've had
to unmanage my wired NIC and now NM tries really hard to bring up the
wireless interface each time someone logs in.

Oh well. I suppose I should be glad I'm not alone. But it doesn't really
help you, does it.

Chris