Re: need help configuring debian-6.05 with DNS

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 01:37:06PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 13:37:06 -0700
> From: Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
> Subject:  Re: need help configuring debian-6.05 with DNS
> To: Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:52:32PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 22:52:32 +0300
> > From: Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
> > Subject:  Re: need help configuring debian-6.05 with DNS
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >
> > On Vi, 29 iun 12, 12:40:00, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > > 	Guys,
> > >
> > > 	Can someone help me get DNS installed and working on my
> > > 	Debian Squeeze?  The youtubed videos that I have tried have
> > > 	both failed.  I get an "NXDOMAIN" with nslookup or did.
> > >
> > > 	thanks for any pointers!
> >
> > 1. What are you trying to achieve? (access the internet, provide some
> > kind of DNS service to several clients or run your own DNS server)
> > 2. What steps have you performed so far?
>

> 	Run my own DNS server, for starters.
>
> 	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZuPq_oLQNw is the latest
> 	videos I have tried.  I followed every step.  nslookup could
> 	not find my computers domain, and I could not ping it.  I
> 	could ping my FreedBSD server, "ethic.thought.org" and my
> 	other hosts like my destop.  But not the new tower case that
> 	I am trying to transition to.
>

> > It might be a good idea for you to read
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Andrei
> > --
> > Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:

Hold on!  on ethic's /etc/host's file I had the *wrong* IP.  "deb"
is my to-be new Linux server with 10.47.0.115 as its internal IP.
Now I can ping and dig and nslookup the computer *correctly*.  This
is outstanding.

The next thing is to get mail on "deb";  how do I do that?  A few
years ago a friend installed dovecot on ethic.thought.org.  Is there
an easy way of plugging in docot into "deb.thought.org"?

thanks in advance.