Re: 2D desktop Wheezy

Op 28-06-12 10:58, Ralf Mardorf schreef:
> On Thu, 2012-06-28 at 10:32 +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> I would like to see the 2D desktop in Wheezy. How can I see it on a
>> modern machine with Intel graphics?
>>
>> Background: when I remote login I see a wrong 2D desktop, but I don't
>> know how the good 2D desktop is..
>
> Your desktop environment is GNOME 3?

Yes.

> What windows manager do you use? I
> suspect the default, but not everybody knows what the default for wheezy
> is. At least I don't know.

"update-alternatives --config x-window-manager" says I am using
Metacity, and that's the only installed windows-manager.

Maybe Metacity is the place to force a 2D desktop, but finding the
configuration is not easy. No config file and nothing in gconf-editor. I
found that they both switched to gsettings and dconf:
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/GSettingsMigration
"dconf-editor" can do the configuration, in "org | gnome".

But, nothing about 2D there...

I was a bit confused about "Mutter". That's Metacity + clutter. There
are some packages installed like "mutter-common", so I found some
settings in dconf-editor about it. But the package with the binaries
("mutter") is not installed.

> I don't have any issue using squeeze, but on Arch (a rolling release =
> always upgraded to latest version) for Xfce4 for example (no 3D windows
> manager), Evolution has a borked color theme, perhaps such effects
> encounter for Debian testing now too.
> The freedom to use what ever DE, with what ever apps on Linux is bygone.
> GNOME 3 stuff does follow a little bit the MS/Apple approach :p.

Is here somebody who knows how to force a 2D desktop?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl