Re: areca backup folder to samba shared folder

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:42:12 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> 2012/6/27 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:

(...)

>>> maybe it cannot be used because i use nautilus to mount the samba
>>> share folder instead of command line?
>>
>> To use Areca Backup I recall that you needed a samba volume mounted
>> locally, yes. If Nautilus is accesing the share via "smb://" the trick
>> does not work (in fact, that's one of the reasons I stopped using
>> Areca's solution :-) )
>>

> do you have any suggestion for open source backup software that can
> backup to samba & do block level backup while the source is still
> running?
>
> preferrably would be able to run on linux and windows client

You can still use Areca but you have to mount the samba share in your
linux client instead just accessing it, as simple as issuing "mount -t
cifs -o ..." before you want to run the backup routine and umount it when
you finish; you shouldn't face any problem with this :-?

I can't recommend any application because I finally moved to "tar" which
I thought it was going to be the most reliable solution in the end :-),
but Wikipedia has an extensible list of backup sofware that can give you
some ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backup_software

Greetings,

--