Re: Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 17:50 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 15:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > I can be wrong but I thought the "reload" takes place automatically when
> > Synaptic is open :-?
>
> No it doesn't and it's good that it doesn't.
Thank you! This is the answer I needed, as well as the following
explanation as to why.

> When using a GUI to manage
> packages, one of the reasons to do this, is to get information, without
> having the need to search the web OR TO UPDATE repository information
> for perhaps just 1 or 10000000000000000000000 repositories. An upgrade
> for 10000000000000000000000 repositories might be a little bit annoying
> for some of us, with a limited lifespan.
I actually never thought of synaptic from the information aspect. Good
point.

> For some needs directly using CLI or a script is the better choice,
> Synaptic is quiet good for some other needs.

I will handle it by altering the opening script. I still do believe it
would be a good idea to offer it in preferences.
again Thanks!
frosty