Re: [SOLVED - partly] Re: iceweasel 13.0.1 for Wheezy?

On Du, 24 iun 12, 17:21:17, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> What I want:
> Stay with Wheezy when it's become Stable. At least for a while.
> Get my packages mainly from Debian official.
> Get from multimedia what I cannot get from Debian official.
> Stay tuned with Skype
> Stay tuned with Firefox (Iceweasel)
> Get Google-maps
>
> What I did after reading your counsel:
> Delete cruft from sources.list and preferences
> then
> aptitude -t experimental install iceweasel
>
> What happened:
> Iceweasel 13.0.1 was installed.
> Me: happy, hooray!

Ok

> After making the changes
> apt-cache policy iceweasel
> looks like this and I managed to install Iceweasel 13.0.1
>
> iceweasel:
>   Installed: 13.0.1-1
>   Candidate: 13.0.1-1
>   Package pin: 13.0.1-1
>   Version table:
>  *** 13.0.1-1 700
>           1 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      10.0.5esr-1 700
>         990 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
>
> My /etc/apt/sources.list is now:
> #
>
> # want to stay on Wheezy after it becomes stable ... at least for awhile
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib

Add non-free to security as well

> # skype official site
> deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free
> #deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ testing non-free
>
> #tovid (not using tovid at the present since devede 3.22.0 is working fine)
> #deb     http://tovid.sourceforge.net/download/debian testing contrib
> #deb-src http://tovid.sourceforge.net/download/debian testing contrib
>
> # proxy (gave that up some time ago)
> # deb http://192.168.0.40:9999/debian testing main contrib non-free
>
> # kernel (no need)
> # deb http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel/ trunk main
>
> ## Google software repository:
> ## http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/apt.html
> ## reminder: (wget -q -O - https://dl-
> ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add - )
> ## or (gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv A040830F7FAC5991 && \
> gpg --export  --armor A040830F7FAC5991 | sudo apt-key add - )
> ## Quoted cause of index failure (who was mentioning this??)
> deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ testing non-free
>
> ## Opera webbrowser:
> #deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ testing non-free
> # Couldn't find the phantom anyway
>
> ## Tor:
> # deb http://mirror.noreply.org/pub/tor testing main
> #Yes I am one, I know, but not using Tor for browsing
>
> ## Debian Multimedia - Christian Marrillat repository:
> # now in /etc/apt/sources.d/
> #deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main
> #deb-src http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main
>
> ## All experimental repositories:
>
> ## Debian experimental mirrors:
> #deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
> deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org experimental main
> # don't know if this helps much

Umm, experimental?

> ## All unstable repositories:
> # nix - nada - zilch
>

> /etc/apt/sources.d has the following files:
>
> deb-multimedia.org.list
> google-earth.list
> iceweasel.experimental.list
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb-multimedia.org.list
> deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ wheezy main non-free
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth.list
> deb http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main
> # this gets Priority 100 automatically if not mentioned in preferences, right?

No, default priority is 500, unless the repository itself sets it lower.

> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/iceweasel.experimental.list
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free
>

> /etc/apt/preferences:
>
> Pin: release l=WineHQ APT Repository
> Pin-Priority: 1000
> # do I need this? I'm downloading and installing packages from \
> http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 990

Good, but you should change 'a=testing' to 'n=wheezy' and if you drop
the o=Debian it will apply to all wheezy repositories (like Marillat).
Another way to achieve the same is to declare a Default-Release in
apt.conf, like:

echo 'APT::Default-Release "wheezy";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00default-release

(you might need to create the directory apt.conf.d before that)

> Package: *
> Pin: origin www.deb-multimedia.org
> Pin-Priority: 900
> # Want to get from multimedia what I cannot get from Debian official

The Marillat versions his packages they may overriding packages from the
Debian repositories. I set this to 100. One must use -t to install
packages from it, but you get automatic updates.

> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Debian,a=squeeze
> Pin-Priority: 800
> # Do I use anything off Squeeze? To my knowledge not ...

Then get rid of it. The default priority of 500 will be fine anyway.

> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 700
> # Why testing again?

Remove it

> Package: iceweasel
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 700

If you just want to install stuff from experimental you don't need a pin
for it, -t will work with the default priority of 1 (experimental is
setting it like this). If you want to get automatic updates for specific
packages you have installed priority 100 is enough, but...

If you want to stick with wheezy experimental is not a good idea for the
long run, much better to use mozilla.debian.net with no pinning (it has
a wheezy repository).

> Package:  *
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 700
> # Do I need this? I'm only using iceweasel from experimental.

No, it's even dangerous.

> Package: *
> Pin: release a=sid
> Pin-Priority: 500

Default priority is 500, you don't need to set it explicitly.

Remember that when two repositories have same priority the highest
version will be installed. This is why most of the times you don't need
to set anything else but the Default-Release (=priority 990). Also

    apt-cache policy

and

    apt-cache policy <package>

Are extremely helpful to show you what APT thinks of your pinning before
installing/upgrading stuff.

Kind regards,
Andrei