Re: Laptop wake-up issue

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 21:45:06 +1000, Nathan D'elboux wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Nathan.

Please, don't send html formatted posts to this mailing list, it's
preferable to use plain text instead, thanks :-)

> I have recently built Debian 6 squeeze on my Toshiba Satellite P200
> laptop, Everything runs great on it except the sleep or hibernate
> function

Sleep and hibernate are two different things calling a different set of
routines so, is that both fail, sleep that fails or hibernate?

> I have setup the power options so that when the lid is shut it goes to
> sleep, when i open up the lid i can see the screen and HDD's spin up but
> the screen remains black. Its backlit but off,i cant get a logon screen
> to enter my password.

Are you sure is "sleep" the called function?

> I have to hold the power and cycle and start again. A little annoying if
> i'm trying to work on something and need to come back later. Doesnt
> really work.

Okay, I would start by reading these articles:

http://wiki.debian.org/Suspend
http://wiki.debian.org/Hibernation
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pm-utils

Then, for debugging purposes, manually call the suspend or hibernate
scripts, from command line, to see what happens (man pm-action).

Also, there uses to be a log file at "/var/log/pm-suspend.log" which
registers most of the problems when sending the computer to sleep/
hibernate and also when you want to restore it. Take a look at it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón