Re: OT: /var on another distro, was: Re: 100% [Waiting for headers]

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 1:33 AM, Chris Knadle <Chris.Knadle@coredump.us> wrote:

> Fedora is interesting in that they use SELinux by default, but I don't
> personally like their plans for mandating reboots for certain updates for
> Fedora 18.  That's "too much like Windows" for my liking.  I prefer Debian's
> restart of services after libc6 upgrades, without requiring a reboot.

The way Fedora will handle it is nothing at all like Windows.  I'm not
sure where you got that idea.  First off, you have to use PackageKit
to see the new behavior, and you have to use PackageKit in a local
desktop session.  The behavior of a yum update is unchanged.
Furthermore, it doesn't require a reboot at all.  Fedora will download
and *queue* the update and install it during the reboot cycle.
There's no reboot "required" because the update is never installed
until you *do* reboot.

This behavior cleans up what you see in Debian already, when Update
Manager installs an update and then notifies you that you need to
reboot after it's installed.  It's "cleaned up" in that Debian (and
prior versions of Fedora) install the update, *then* tell you "reboot"
(and only, as will happen in Fedora, when using the GUI updater in a
local desktop session).  In the future, Fedora won't install the
update if a reboot is required *until* you reboot.

The "Windows" behavior is what Debian and Fedora both do today --
install the update first then tell you to reboot after the fact.

--
Chris