Re: E: Couldn't rebuild package cache

On 24/06/12 06:01, lina wrote:
On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM, lina<lina.lastname@gmail.com>  wrote:
Hi,

I don't know how to fix the following problem,

It's fixed after changing the source.list to my former mirror.

Thanks,

Best regards,

W: Failed to fetch
gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_wheezy_main_binary-amd64_Packages:
Hash Sum mismatch
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.
E: Couldn't rebuild package cache

Thanks ahead for the suggestions,

I think that when your /var filled up, you were left with some partly downloaded files in /var/lib/apt/lists/partial and apt is trying to use those.

I assume you've freed up a lot of space under /var now. Can you delete all the files uder that directory and try to update again? It is safe, as the files will be downloaded again.

This leaves the question of why did /var fill up? Have you got a lot of old deb files under /var/cache/apt/archives? These can be safely got rid of with apt-get clean (unless you are keeping them for a reason). Also, apt-get autoclean will prevent them being left in there after an upgrade/install.

--
Dom