Root password usage - was [Re: Intermittent installation related problems]

Brian wrote:
On Thu 21 Jun 2012 at 13:55:49 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 07:37:52AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

But ;)
The new install will not accept root password. User password is
fine.

That may be intended. I don't think Debian (out of the box) allows root
to log in at all. Instead, you're expected to log in as an unprivileged
user and then 'upgrade' to root (via sudo - which takes THAT USER'S
password). If you gave root a password during install, then you should
be able to log in at a VT with root, but not via SSH/*DM etc.

The installer always presents a screen offering to set a password for
root. Leaving the entry field empty disables the root account and sudo
is installed.

Is there reason to not specify a root password?

The current situation is a long series of test installations serving two goals:
A. understanding the ins and outs of the installation procedure
B. eventually deciding just what I want in a final system

The laptop serving as a test vehicle:
  is physically secure
  will not spend much time connected to the internet
the hard drive as part of my experimenting will frequently be reformatted