Re: Intermittent installation related problems

On Fri 15 Jun 2012 at 09:41:09 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

[Snip]

> My routine is to use gparted to delete whatever partition the previous
> Debian install was on and let subsequent install "use all free space". As
> I only have dialup at home all installs requiring internet access are
> done using WiFi hotspot at local library. The netinst and LiveCD iso's
> were downloaded from the Debian site and MD5's verified.

It is unnecessary to use gparted. The installer will do it for you at
partitioning stage.

> Problem 1. With recent installs, neither netinst nor LiveCD could access
> the internet DURING the install. If I complete the install from the
> LiveCD having chosen "do not configure network", it has *NO* problem
> connecting to the internet.

The Wifi requires WPA. The installer does not allow WPA connections. The
installed system does.

A guess; but, with very little information, what else is there to do?

>                             What CLI tool can I use to attempt to connect
> to the Wifi hot spot?

After installation?