Re: dependency tree on installed packages

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:08:39PM +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My Wheezy was installed on a very early stage any I would like to
> compare packages against a fresh installation to see what is different
> or changed. Probably nothing but would like to verify. Therefore I
> would like to make a dependency tree (graph) on installed packages
> under Wheezy for both (my older and a fresh) installation. On the two
> dependency trees I am able to find differences between them because
> packages by packages compare is not enough I think.
>
> I have made some google and found that debtree and apt-cache might do
> that. But do not. Or not exactly what I would like. debtree needs a
> package name for graph but I need all my installed packages (no --all
> or asterisk parameter) not just some and apt-cache makes tree from all
> packages Debian has even I specify the parameter --installed. I am
> stuck.

It looks like "apt-cache --installed depends ." should do what you want.
If it's doing what you want, but for all packages, then that seems like
a bug to me (the --installed parameter says "Limit the output of depends
and rdepends to packages which are currently installed"). Note that
"--installed" only works with 'depends' and 'rdepends'.