Re: Up-gradation problem with gnome 2.14

On Tue 19 Jun 2012 at 12:14:06 +0000, Joy Sankar Sengupta wrote:

> I have done everything you have suggested.now the resolv.conf file showing
> the nameserver.I have add the signature.asc as a key file in software
> source.But I am getting same error error.Please suggest some thing.

[Lots of snipping of log supplied]

> After applying any command like "apt-get install/update/upgrade" I am
> getting following error:
>
> client:/home/student# apt-get upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:

Ok, it is an upgrade, not a dist-upgrade.

>  dhcp3-client dhcp3-common dmidecode dnsutils docbook-xml dpkg

There is a new version of dpkg. You will not get it.

Fine.

> WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!

Fixed by installing debian-archive-keyring.

> 110 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 590 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/61.9MB of archives.
> After unpacking 5113kB of additional disk space will be used.

You have nothing to download. The 110 required packages are already in
/var/cache/apt/archives.

> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.debian.org
> etch/updates/main Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_etch_updates_
> main_binary-i386_Packages)
> - stat (2 No such file or directory)

That archive doesn't have what you want.

> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ftp.de.debian.org
> etch/main Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.de.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_
> main_binary-i386_Packages)
> - stat (2 No such file or directory)

Neither does this one.

> dpkg: regarding .../base-files_6.10_i386.deb containing base-files:
>  package uses Breaks; not supported in this dpkg
> dpkg: error processing

What is your version of dpkg?

   dpkg --version

> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

You could also post the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list.