Re: Intermittent installation related problems

On Mon 18 Jun 2012 at 07:29:20 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>> On Fri 15 Jun 2012 at 09:41:09 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>> [Snip]
>>
>>> My routine is to use gparted to delete whatever partition the previous
>>> Debian install was on and let subsequent install "use all free space". As
>>> I only have dialup at home all installs requiring internet access are
>>> done using WiFi hotspot at local library. The netinst and LiveCD iso's
>>> were downloaded from the Debian site and MD5's verified.
>>
>> It is unnecessary to use gparted. The installer will do it for you at
>> partitioning stage.
>
> Are you sure ;/
> In snipped paragraph I had stated I was *EXPLICITLY* leaving the existing
> Windows install _untouched_ for these Debian install experiments. At the
> initial partition related menu the effective choice is:
>  A. wipe out entire disk
>  B. install to _existing_ free space.
>
> Under 'manual partitioning', I can see options for specifying partition
> size and format.
> What I do not see is a method to force a 'new' install of Debian to take
> over a specific existing partition.

With an expert install and manual partitioning I see this on the second
disk of one machine:

   SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sdb) - 160.0 GB ATA Hitachi HDS72161
	#1 primary     10.0 GB      K   ext4
	   pri/log    150.0 GB          FREE SPACE

Highlight partition #1 and press enter. 'Use as:' - ext4. 'Format the
partition:' - yes. Then 'Done setting up the partition'. The 'K' changes
to an 'F'.

> What's even more annoying (ascetically) is that I can not see a way for
> multiple simultaneous installs to use the same swap space. After all,
> only only one install will be in use at a time.

Create a new partition in the free space and 'Finish partitioning and
write the changes to disk'. The installer tells you which partitions are
going to be formatted. If you have an existing swap partition on the
same or another disk it should be in the list. It is here.

>>> Problem 1. With recent installs, neither netinst nor LiveCD could access
>>> the internet DURING the install. If I complete the install from the
>>> LiveCD having chosen "do not configure network", it has *NO* problem
>>> connecting to the internet.
>>
>> The WiFi requires WPA. The installer does not allow WPA connections. The
>> installed system does.
>
> Therefore the netinstall is *EXCLUSIVELY* for those with an Ethernet
> connection to the internet???

No, WiFi can be used - WEP only. For WPA you need a testing installer.

> But a side issue, I was "*SURE*" I had successfully done a full install
> from the netinst CD. I recall having been given the option once of
> completing 'a non GUI install' {unsure of how option was phrased}. The
> last round of install experimentation was focused on the desire to take
> that option.

Pass.

>> A guess; but, with very little information, what else is there to do?
>>
>>>                              What CLI tool can I use to attempt to connect
>>> to the WiFi hot spot?
>>
>> After installation?
>>

> Sort of would have to be wouldn't it ;)

Just checking. :)

> Otherwise it would require tweaking the iso before burning the CD.
> Now I know I'm considered a slightly weird glutton for punishment.
> But even I have limits ;/!

ifupdown plus wpasupplicant.