Re: Syslogd message...............

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 08:43:49 +1000, Charlie wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 17:13:26 +0000 (UTC) "Camaleón noelamac@gmail.com"
>  suggested this:

>>Being USB volumes in external enclosures it can be that they were badly
>>umounted and thus the message. I would run "fsck" over the umounted
>>volumes to check for any errors in the filesystem.
>
> True, and I am reluctant to bring the devil to the door by saying that
> I've never yet forgotten to unmount a file system before pulling the
> plug. Because should I do so, it would happen almost instantly that I
> would do just that.
>
> I did run fsck over it, thank you for the suggestion and there were no
> errors.

Good then.

> Furthermore for the last few mounts, it has mounted correctly as
> /dev/sdb1 but here's the trick:
>
> I've always recorded that volume in /etc/fstab by its UUID, and doing
> that suddenly developed the problem. It would mount and suddenly drop
> out, and not be remountable. Even if I reworked /etc/fstab and changed
> the device allocation as it showed up in blkid.

I don't see how this can be the source of the problem. The new device
naming has to be used "yes or yes" if you are attaching a removable
device to a new kernel, otherwise the location of the volume can change
after every boot.

> I have abandoned UUID and now record it as /dev/sdb1 in /etc/fstab and
> it would appear after 10 mounts, that the problem is no more.

But other problems can arise... you better return to the UUID and if the
problems comes again, investigate it.

> That could be coincidence, because the system now always correctly
> identifies the disk as /dev/sdb1 no longer on occasion as /dev/sdd1.

I wouldn't rely on a random behaviour, better stick to what is known to
work and should fails, report it.

> So further to this. If I also put say, a card reader into another USB
> port, and try to mount it as /media/usb0 and have the USB connected
> external harddisk mounted. The message is that /dev/sdb1 is already
> mounted.

Logs, sir, logs are always necessary to debug these kind of issues.

> So in my /etc/fstab I have included the card reader as /dev/sdc1 and
> both work at the same time. I haven't yet tried mounting both external
> hard drives at the same time, but don't expect any problems now.

(...)

If you are loading a DE (like gnome or kde) by default external USB
devices are going to be automatically handled by the desktop, that is,
they will be detected and mounted under "/media/whatever" as it happened
with the card reader.

You have to instruct your system what kind of method you prefer for any
single device and if having an external USB disk that you usually have it
attached to your system, it's preferable to go with a static mount point -
as you did- defined in /etc/fstab but using UUID/ID/LABEL or PATH and
never use the old device naming (/dev/sdx) because you can experience
problems.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón