Re: Syslogd message...............

 On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 17:13:26 +0000 (UTC) "Camaleón noelamac@gmail.com"
 suggested this:

>On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 08:14:03 +1000, Charlie wrote:
>
>> This happens with both powered and powered only through a USB
>> connection, external hard drives. Both with ext3 file systems:
>>
>> Message from syslogd@nomad at Jun 16 08:04:30 ...
>> kernel:[ 3187.986721] journal commit I/O error
>
>Being USB volumes in external enclosures it can be that they were
>badly umounted and thus the message. I would run "fsck" over the
>umounted volumes to check for any errors in the filesystem.

True, and I am reluctant to bring the devil to the door by saying that
I've never yet forgotten to unmount a file system before pulling the
plug. Because should I do so, it would happen almost instantly that I
would do just that.

I did run fsck over it, thank you for the suggestion and there were no
errors.

Furthermore for the last few mounts, it has mounted correctly
as /dev/sdb1 but here's the trick:

I've always recorded that volume in /etc/fstab by its UUID, and doing
that suddenly developed the problem. It would mount and suddenly drop
out, and not be remountable. Even if I reworked /etc/fstab and changed
the device allocation as it showed up in blkid.

I have abandoned UUID and now record it as /dev/sdb1 in /etc/fstab and
it would appear after 10 mounts, that the problem is no more.

That could be coincidence, because the system now always correctly
identifies the disk as /dev/sdb1 no longer on occasion as /dev/sdd1.

So further to this. If I also put say, a card reader into another USB
port, and try to mount it as /media/usb0 and have the USB connected
external harddisk mounted. The message is that /dev/sdb1 is already
mounted.

So in my /etc/fstab I have included the card reader as /dev/sdc1 and
both work at the same time. I haven't yet tried mounting both external
hard drives at the same time, but don't expect any problems now.

Interesting isn't it, and I haven't worked out yet why that's
happening, but then I'm not dead yet either.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Be well,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Nature makes no mistakes. In such a universe, a decision which results
in one's death, is not a mistake. It is simply a way of dying at the
right moment. --Alan Watts