Re: aptitude full-upgrade installs unnecessary packages

On 06/15/2012 12:15 PM, Christoph Groth wrote:
Wayne Topa<linuxtwo@gmail.com>  writes:

On 06/15/2012 10:24 AM, Christoph Groth wrote:

For a reason that I do not understand, currently full-upgrade wants to
install some rather huge packages.

Install the debian-reference package and read section 2.3.5. System wide
upgrade

Thanks.  I read section 2.3.5, but I don't see how this helps with my
problem.

"You should make precautionary moves for the full upgrade while gathering latest information from mailing list and using common senses."

The cautions alone are enough to give you a hint. Did you do the 13 steps after the above?

In 19+ years of using Debian, I have done only 1 full-upgrade and that was a few years ago. For me, once was enough. A safe-upgrade means just that, safe.

YMMV

"aptitude -D" is supposed to show for each package to be newly installed
the reason why it is needed.  In my case, aptitude wants to install
texlive-fonts-extra though this package is currently not installed and
also (to my knowledge) not required or recommended in any way.

"apt-get full-upgrade" wants to do the same, BTW.

Christoph