Re: resize pictures received by mailserver

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:45:13PM +0200, Randall wrote:

> is it possible to have all messages received by the mailinglists MTA
> scanned for pictures and have these automatically scaled to a
> default size before its being redistributed to the receivers on the
> mailinglist and subsequently the forum.

craigslist.org seems to do this when you upload pictures of the item
you're selling.  I'm not sure how they do it, but I imagine they use the
mogrify command from imagemagick:

mogrify -resize 800x600 somefile.jpg

This will overwrite the original somefile.jpg with an 800x600 version of
somefile.jpg

This gets tricky, because what if the original is taller than it is
wide?  The above command will distort the image.

You can also:

mogrify -resize 30% somefile.jpg

This gives you the correct aspect ratio every time, but what if the
original image was already small?

Anyway, some food for thought.

-Rob