resize pictures received by mailserver

hi all,

have a question, not really debian specific, but looking for the tools available in debian to do the job.

as follows:

i'm trying to set up a private synchronised mailinglist/forum. (thinking of a combination of mailman and tiki forum) and i want to avoid having huge pictures showing up on the mailinglist/forum, since most receivers have slow connections with huge latency etc...

one option would be to set a restriction on received sizes and do some training of the users sending the mails and the harmonizing the mail clients used etc.... but nowadys everybody uses different mobile devices etc.. to take and send the pictures.

taking this approach will turn me into a hated drill sergeant... not my favorite job..

so i figured there should be a way of less social resistance and more user comfort.

is it possible to have all messages received by the mailinglists MTA scanned for pictures and have these automatically scaled to a default size before its being redistributed to the receivers on the mailinglist and subsequently the forum.

my idea was that it could basically follow the same route as spam/virus scanners, but i can't seem to find any available tools for this, never came across it by accident or my googling skills are lacking.

anybody a hint?

much obliged