Re: what causes "slogin -X" to not generate a "$DISPLAY" variable on the server?

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:04:26 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:

(...)

> After running full-upgrade on the servers (they had been out of action
> for a couple of months, so it was a fairly large upgrade -- which makes
> diagnosing the problem harder...) when I did "slogin -X" from any of the
> clients, the resulting session had no "DISPLAY" variable in its env.
> Moreover, defining "DISPLAY=localhost:10.0 ; export DISPLAY" did not
> help.  I get "xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost: 10.0"
> error-message.

That way neither works for me:

***
sm01@stt008:~$ ssh sm02@192.168.0.5
(...)
sm02@stt005:~$ echo $DISPLAY

sm02@stt005:~$ DISPLAY=localhost:10.0 ; export DISPLAY
sm02@stt005:~$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0
sm02@stt005:~$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0
***

However this works:

***
sm01@stt008:~$ ssh -X sm02@192.168.0.5
(...)
sm02@stt005:~$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0
sm02@stt005:~$ xterm
***

There has to be a proper way to manually set the DISPLAY environment
value within from a ruuning ssh session :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón