Re (2): Firewire IEEE 1394 cameras and Coriander.

From:	Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
Date:	Mon, 11 Jun 2012 20:26:59 +0000 (UTC)
> Did you finally reach some conclusion after reading the mentioned
> documents?

The Juju migration document has a new address and has
expanded since then; my understanding has improved little.

https://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Juju_Migration

It states,
# /etc/udev/rules.d/example-firewire.rules
# IIDC devices: industrial cameras and some webcams
SUBSYSTEM=="firewire", ATTR{units}=="*0x00a02d:0x00010*", GROUP="video"

Whereas Squeeze has no such rules.
peter@joule:~$ ls /etc/udev/rules.d/
70-persistent-cd.rules  70-persistent-net.rules  z60_hdparm.rules

The Juju devices exist.
peter@joule:~$ ll /dev/fw*
crw-------  1 root root  252, 0 Jun 11 12:12 /dev/fw0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 252, 1 Jun 11 12:12 /dev/fw1

> IIRC, there was a change coming from the kernel firewire
> stack, right?

Yes, fw0 and fw1 are the Juju devices; but how can Coriander,
started by peter, be acquiring the image from fw0 when the access
is restricted to "crw-------  1 root root"?

From:	Stefan Richter <stefanr@s5r6.in-berlin.de> in Coriander-devel
Date:	Mon, 11 Jun 2012 22:50:51 +0200
> Supposedly you can look up in /proc/video/vloopback/
> which two video devices belong to one pipe.

peter@joule:~$ ls /proc/video/vloopback/
ls: cannot access /proc/video/vloopback/: No such file or directory

Seems I should try to make a udev rules file.
Can anyone tell me how to find the correct value to assign
to ATTR{units}.  What exactly does ATTR{units} refer to?

Thanks,             ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "