Re: Installing Debian 6.0.5 (stable) with newer kernel

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:43:14 +0300, Teemu Likonen wrote:

> I'm about to buy a new motherboard (and CPU etc.) and will probably
> switch from i386 to amd64 system. Many motherboards have a chipset which
> requires newer kernel than 2.6.32 which is on Debian 6.0.5. On the other
> hand backports.debian.org has kernel 3.2.
>
> Is it possible to install Debian 6.0.5 directly with newer kernel? I
> don't know what kernel is used by the Debian 6.0.5 installer and I'm not
> sure if my potential new motherboard will boot or work at all with the
> default Debian 6.0.5 installer/installed kernel.

You can first try with a Debian LiveCD to check if all the hardware is
properly detected. Squeeze latest installer has kernel "2.6.32+29".

> Currently I'm thinking of Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 motherboard with Intel
> Core i7 980 CPU.
>
> http://www.gigabyte.fi/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3450#ov
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Giga-byte/GA-X58-UD5
> http://ark.intel.com/products/47933/Intel-Core-i7-970-Processor-%2812M-Cache-3_20-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI%29
>
> If you would like to suggest another motherboard and CPU here are my
> requirements:

(...)

Generally speaking, I like Gigabyte and MSI motherboards. For
a professional usage, I'd stay with Supermicro or Tyan :-)

> Thanks for any help. Please Cc to me your replies. See Mail-Followup-To.

Sorry, I can't ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón