Re: the information I got, was unique install question? [Clarify your needs]

Hello Karen

> Images for squeeze with software speech can be downloaded from
> http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/espeakup/ but they don't seem
> to be working any more due to kernel update in the official archive.
> As a replacement, the testing images (i.e. Wheezy) can be downloaded
> from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer [...]

So it seems that the software you need (software speech) is only
available in Wheezy. You have a Wheezy CD and Squeeze DVDs: the
downside is that switching from Wheezy to Squeeze would mean
downgrading, and as far as I know this is not supported by Debian: I
don't know what would happen (after installing from CD) removing your
Wheezy source from /etc/apt/sources.list and adding the Squeeze DVDs,
and then "upgrading" your system. You would probably end up with broken
dependencies or other strange things: as far as I know, running hybrid
stable/testing systems is not a good idea.

> The software speech was not working, and as I had no way to post the
> error, I just used my hardware synthesizer, or installed this for use
> later. by which I mean once I discovered how to install the DVDs of
> squeeze.

Perhaps there's a far better and cleaner way than mixing stable with
testing: you could use DVD Wheezy images. Maybe the first image
is enough, and maybe you won't need more packages than are contained in
the first three images. If you can't get them easily I could send them
to you for free, or so could someone else (I live in Europe so it would
take a bit of time). You could install Wheezy from your CD, then update
/etc/apt/sources.list adding the Wheezy DVD image(s), and finally
installing the rest of your system from the new Wheezy source(s).

Do you have an i386 computer?

All the best,
Andrew