Re: Audio problems [With Squeeze & KDE]

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 03:09:46 -0500, J Paulo wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I have installed Debian Squeeze & KDE Desktop. The audio devices never
> worked. I'm not sure if It's a Debian problem or a KDE problem. I has
> installed OpenSUSE with GNOME before and worked ok.
>
> If I try to up volume with volume up key, appears like work it, but don't
> show change in volume (I tried volume down, too...same resulted). If I
> tried to run in root aplayer, I receive the next error message:
>
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> > aplay: main:654: audio open error: No such file or directory
>

> I run alsa-info script, and I get this output:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=5e72aeef80770fb1e93a5fc291f1cd0163f14434

Quoting from the alsa-info output:

  !!Aplay/Arecord output
  !!------------

  APLAY

  card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

  ARECORD

  **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
  card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The first thing that I would try is to reorder the cards or to disable
the HDMI one completely, as discussed here:

Regards,            |
          Florian   | http://www.florian-kulzer.eu