Re: what did hwinfo do to my machine?

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2012 01:10:26 owens@netptc.net wrote:
>> I have seen such a behavior before when the BIOS boot sequence was
>> erroneously configured to boot from floppy before the HDD
>
> I *always* configure my BIOS boot sequence to try floppy first. Then the
> optical drive or drives.  And only then the HDD.  So far I have not had a
> problem.  When I do, I may have to think again.

It won't be a problem for you as long as you have a working floppy
drive.  The issue outlined by the previous poster bites you only if
you either don't have a floppy drive or the drive has failed (in the
OP's case, the drive had "failed" insomuch as the connection to it had
loosened).  You then have to wait for the hardware probe to time out.

The next server I put together likely won't have a floppy drive at all
(and I'm still thinking about eschewing an optical drive, as well).
I've not actually used the floppy drive in my current server since
2007 (to create a network driver disk for Windows Vista -- irony), and
the optical drive has only been used to reinstall the operating system
every couple of years.  As long as any new server can boot from a USB
stick, I've no need for an optical drive (I can work with optical
discs, as necessary, with my laptop).

--
Chris